Rainbow Henna may be applied on wet or dry hair, but it is important that the hair be clean. If you wish to shampoo first, towel dry hair before application. Apply cream, oil, or Vaseline around the hairline, ears, and neck to avoid staining your skin.
**(If using Henna on Grey or White Hair see directions below)**
Pour a 4 oz. jar of Rainbow Henna into a glass or plastic bowl. Gradually add boiling water, coffee or tea to the Henna powder. Use a wooden or plastic spoon to mix thoroughly to a creamy soup-like consistency, (more liquid can be added if mixture is too thick).
For Rainbow Neutral Henna, mix 2 oz. (1/2 jar) with boiling water.
Rainbow Henna is filled by weight. A 4 oz. jar is equal to an 8 oz. cup by volume.
**For best results with Henna on Grey hair see instructions below**
Directions for use on Grey or White Hair
Pour a 4 oz. jar of Rainbow Henna into a glass or plastic bowl. Gradually add boiling coffee or tea to the Henna powder. See special recipes and hints below for exact Coffee & Tea use. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar. Use a wooden or plastic spoon to mix thoroughly to a creamy soup-like consistency, (more liquid can be added if mixture is too thick).
For Rainbow Neutral Henna on Grey Hair: Mix 2 oz. (1/2 jar) with boiling water, do not use coffee and vinegar.
Best Recipes for Grey Hair:
Dark Brown Henna + Coffee + 1-2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar = Dark Brown
3 parts Black + 1 Part Medium Brown + Coffee + 1-2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar = Dark Brown
3 Parts Dark Brown + 1 Part Medium Brown + Coffee + 1-2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar = Medium/Dark Brown
3 Parts Black + 1 Part Dark Brown + Coffee + 1-2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar = Darkest Brown
Special Recipes and Hints
Substitute Coffee or Tea for Water to add these effects:
Coffee – Use for Best Results on Grey Hair to help tone down red tones, deepens brown-red tones, & cover grey. Use brewed, black coffee or espresso (not instant or decaffeinated). After coffee or espresso is brewed, bring to a boil. Mix as directed above.
Teas- To have the following effects take place, substitute tea for water. Let tea steep for 20-30 minutes, and then bring to a boil. Mix as directed above.
- Ceylon, Black China or Darjeeling Teas will help tone down red & deepen brown-red tones on Dark Brown, Med Brown, Burgundy, Mahogany & Sherry.
- Ceylon, Black China or Darjeeling Teas will add gold highlights to Light Brown Henna.
- Red Zinger Tea enriches red tones in Burgundy, Sherry, Mahogany, Dark Brown, Med Brown and Red Henna.
- Chamomile Tea brightens and adds highlights to Neutral, Blonde, or Marigold Blonde Henna.
** Remember the water, tea or coffee should be brought to a boil. The amount you use is up to you. More can be added if the mixture thickens. Apply Henna while warm, not hot. The electric Thermo Heat Cap can improve color and conditioning.
Apple Cider Vinegar – To help all colors hold on grey hair, add 1-2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar to Henna mixture.
Lemon Juice – To lighten blonde shades, add 1-2 tbsp. lemon juice to Henna mixture.
To Deepen Red Shades – Red, Sherry, Mahogany, or Burgundy can be deepened by mixing a darker shade. For example, 3 oz. (3/4 jar) Mahogany + 1 oz. (1/4 jar) Dark Brown = Dark Auburn.
Dry or Damaged Hair – Add 1 Egg, or 1-2 tbsp. of Olive Oil, or 1-2 tbsp of Plain Yogurt to the Henna mixture. These natural ingredients not only condition, but help with the application and rinsing processes. Choose any 1 of the 3 options listed above for similar results.
Wear plastic or rubber gloves to avoid staining your hands.
- Section hair front to back and ear to ear. Take 1 inch partings in the sections.
- Method 1 - Begin at the scalp and paint on the Henna with a tint brush from roots to ends, or use hands
- Method 2 - Begin at scalp and apply Henna with gloved hands. Packing it on as if you were putting a mud pack on your head.
- Continue until all the hair is thickly coated with the Henna mixture.
- Place a cotton or tissue band around the hairline. Cover the hair with a plastic bag or plastic wrap and old towel to help maintain heat.
For best results use a Heat Lamp, or Thermo Heat Cap:
Leave on as follows:
- Black, Red, Sherry, Mahogany, Burgundy, Dark Brown, Medium Brown, and Copper –with heat 45- 60 minutes; without heat 60-90 minutes.
- Strawberry Blonde, Blonde, Marigold Blonde, Light Brown, and Neutral –with heat 30 minutes; without heat 45-60 minutes.
When timing is completed, rinse thoroughly with hot water, and then rinse with cool water. Follow with Rainbow Henna Shampoo, or any mild natural shampoo without essential oils. Rinse thoroughly and style. Leaving the Henna on longer then recommended is not advised, results may vary.
Henna Test Strand Instructions
- Mix 1 teaspoon of Henna with Boiled Water* Use enough water to make it into a thick soup-like consistency. Additional water may be added to thin mixture if needed.
- Test on enough hair to see results. Select a 1 inch section (enough to wrap around 2 fingers).
- Apply Henna Roots to Ends, coating the hair. After Henna is applied, wrap the section of hair in plastic wrap. Leave on 45-60 minutes. Rinse off, shampoo and dry. Check color in good light, daylight is best. For more depth of color, timing can be increased 15-30 minutes.
*coffee or tea should be substituted for water for grey hair.
- Plastic or glass bowl
- Plastic or wooden spoon
- Oil, Vaseline, or cream
- Plastic or rubber gloves
- Tint brush or 1 ½ inch paint brush
- Cotton or tissues
- Plastic bag or plastic wrap
- Protective cape or old towel
- Rainbow Henna Shampoo
- Rainbow Henna Conditioner
- Thermo Electric Heat Cap
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Should I try a test strand first?
Yes. See Henna test strand instructions above.
Can Henna be used on grey or white hair?
If you have over 10% grey, we suggest doing a “test strand” first. The following formulas work best:
- Medium Brown Henna + brewed coffee + apple cider vinegar
- Dark Brown Henna + brewed coffee + apple cider vinegar
- Light Brown Henna + Ceylon Tea or Black China Tea or Darjeeling Tea + apple cider vinegar
- Dark Brown Henna + Medium Brown Henna (50% of each) + brewed coffee + apple cider vinegar - works well on more than 10% grey
Can I Henna after a perm?
After a Perm we suggest that you wait 3-5 shampooings. This will insure that the entire chemical residue is removed prior to doing the Henna application.
Can I Henna before a perm?
Yes, Follow instructions below to remove Henna coating first.
Can I use a Chemical Dye or Bleach over hair with Henna on it?
No. First you must remove the Henna coating from the hair shaft. The Henna coating is naturally removed after 2-3 weeks of regular shampooing. If Henna was applied less then 2-3 weeks before see removal instructions below.
What is the best way to remove Henna?
To help remove Henna from the hair shaft, apply warm mineral oil to the hair. Leave on 20-25 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Shampoo out. This procedure is good prior to using a perm or chemical tint/color.
Is Henna safe to use over a chemical tint?
Yes. If the hair is in excellent condition, Rainbow Henna can be used over a chemical tint. However, this is not its purpose. Color results may very until new growth comes in fully. Henna should not be used over bleached or white hair.
Can Hair be lightened after Henna?
No. The Henna color will remain on the hair even if high lift blonde tints or bleaches are used.
Will Henna lighten hair?
No. Henna does not contain any lightening chemicals. Blonde Henna brings out yellow and golden brown highlights. Marigold Blonde Henna brings out gold and yellow highlights. Both add shine and body to grey hair.
How often can I use Henna?
Neutral Henna can be used on any type of hair every 4 weeks. All other shades can be used every 4 to 6 weeks. If color fades quicker than 4-6 weeks it is safe to re-apply sooner.
Can Henna powders be mixed?
Yes. You can mix powders together to create your own formula. Mix powders well before adding liquid.